A biennial award open to artists, featuring a three-month residency at the British School at Rome (BSR).
British School at Rome (Accademia Britannica di archeologia, storia e belle arti)
• Website: www.bsr.ac.uk • Address: Via Antonio Gramsci, 61, 00197 Roma, Italy
ROME RESIDENCY 2023: Postponed
At this stage we are planning to resume the Residency in Rome in 2024.
Applications will be open in January 2023.
The period of residency is from the beginning of April to the end of June (the European spring).
Valued at about A$ 30 000, it includes:
- accommodation with a studio at the BSR
- $A 4 000 for airfares, health and travel insurance
- a monthly stipend of $A 2 000
Two other finalists will be provided with grants to attend residencies at Bundanon, worth $4 500 each. These include accommodation for three weeks and a stipend of $2 000.
Who can apply?
An Australian citizen, preferably living in NSW or the ACT during the selection process. If selected as a finalist, you must be able to attend the award ceremony with three artworks.
An artist practising in at least one of the fields of painting, drawing or sculpture. (If you work in ceramics, you would be required to support your work with drawings.)
Someone satisfying at least 2 of the following 3 criteria:
- Completed a tertiary visual arts course, or equivalent*
- Held a substantial exhibition at a recognised gallery
- Received a significant commission, grant or public prize
* Preference may be given to a graduate between 3 and 10 years after completing a tertiary visual arts course, or equivalent.
Supported by a bequest from the late M Matheson Lines.