The new residency awards will involve the biennial Rome Residency, which will be reinstated in 2024, as well as an annual two-week residency at Bundanon, commencing in 2023. The residencies for Bundanon will be made biennially, with set dates for each annual placement.
Unsuccessful applicants for a residency will automatically be assessed for a Development Grant. There will be no need to do a separate application.
Bundanon Residency »
The William Fletcher Travelling Fellowship & Rome Residency is a biennial award open to artists, featuring a three-month residency at the British School at Rome (BSR).
British School at Rome (Accademia Britannica di archeologia, storia e belle arti)
• Website: bsr.ac.uk • Address: Via Antonio Gramsci, 61, 00197 Roma, Italy
APPLICATIONS OPEN NOW – closing 30 JUNE 2023
It will be awarded at the end of August 2023 and the applicants will be notified thereafter.
The period of residency is from the beginning of April to the end of June 2024 (the European spring).
Valued at over A$30,000, it will include:
- accommodation with a studio and some meals at the BSR
- $5,000 for airfares, health and travel insurance
- a monthly stipend of $2,250
- end of term exhibition at the BSR
Any artist who is an Australian resident and practising in at least one of the fields of painting, drawing, sculpture or ceramics. (If you work in sculpture or ceramics, you would be required to support your work with drawings.)
We value artists who demonstrate a devotion to maintaining and developing skills of drawing and painting. This does not rule out innovative approaches or variable media, but it does exclude technological alternatives such as CGI that dispense with traditional material such as chalk, ink, graphite, silverpoint, pastel, watercolour, gouache or oil paint. As such, the judging will reflect this.
Preference may be given to an emerging and mid-career artist, to help develop their career.
How to apply
- Prepare a personal CV that includes:
- details of studies or training, either formal or informal
- qualifications (year obtained)
- grants received
- any exhibitions, stating year and venue
- commissions and/or publications
- Prepare a statement of between 100 and 200 words, outlining why such a grant would assist you in the development of your career. You may specify any special needs (including financial) which would be met by this grant.
- Select digital images of 6 of your artworks (accepted formats: JPEG, PDF, GIF, HEIC, max. 1 MB), each with title, dimensions in centimetres, media and year created.
- Click the button below and fill out the form.
Supported by a bequest from the late M Matheson Lines.